Banamine Given IM (by Intra muscular injection)

Sixteen years ago I killed a very expensive Thouroughbred mare of mine by giving her "Butezone" IM (by Intramuscular Injection). She died horribly, swellings all over her body and the Vet treating her with drugs to stop what appeared to be an Allergic Reaction did not help. I learned the hard way to always give "Butezone" IV (intravenous) or Orally (by mouth). NOTE: May or May Not be related to these pictures or this present Article. You decide???

The mare above is trying to be saved by the Vets surgically opening up all swelling on her body to try and save her by letting light and air into the swellings to kill the "Clostridium Bacteria". This time it was "Banamine" a different drug. Her story: Quoted from her owner: Angela Johnson Hudson

I gave my horse Harley 10cc of Banamine and B12 (in the neck) last Tuesday night because she wasn't acting like herself, wasn't eating, labored breathing, slight temp, etc. Her Barrel Racing Run was not up to her ability and she was acting funny Monday and Tuesday. I figured it couldn't hurt her right? By Thursday morning she could hardly walk and something was obviously wrong. I loaded up and went to MSU. She was admitted that afternoon and she is still there. Your probably saying that I used a contaminated syringe or needle or I had a bad bottle of Banamine or I didn't give it in the right place or this could never happen to me or my horse, right??? Well I assure you that this is not the case. This only happens with Banamine (she had a B12 shot on the other side of her neck). It is very rare and there hasn't been a case at MSU in 5 or 6 years. Somehow a strain of bacteria grows at the injection site and causes swelling (which is fluid and infection) and if not treated it is fatal. The bacteria grows in the dark and doesn't require air to survive. There is no cure, no magical antibiotic for this type of bacteria (Clostridium I think its called). The only cure is cutting through flesh, fat, and muscle to allow light and air to, hopefully, kill the bacteria. This is VERY expensive to treat. So, after looking at the pictures of my mare please ask yourself "Is a $10 shot of Banamine worth $6,000-$8,000 in vet bills or possibly your horses' life?? I'm not saying to stop using Banamine. It is safe to give it IV or Orally.

I hope you can learn something from my nightmare. Pictures are pretty graphic. Please say a prayer for her. She is not "out of the woods" yet.
********************************************************

Now back to me, the Author of this Newsletter: Not all Vets agree with "Banamine" causing this. I have just spoke with my own personal Vet about this before putting it in this Newsletter. The deadly Bacteria "Clostridium" (other exact medical spellings but the same) may have already been present in this situation. Such as reference made to "Blackleg in Cattle". Regardless, not a Good Thing but do your research before using or before condenming Banamine. Personally, I only give it ORALLY!!! "Butezone" taught me that!!!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Login | Powered By: Techweavers Inc.