Unknown Skin Conditions In Newly Purchased Horses

QUESTION: Two adult horses have just come into my possession from two different locations. Both are not overly thin (but definitely do need better feed though than they had been having) and eat/drink and appear fine. Except for their skin?

The mare has lost her hair on her shoulder and was wondering if it was because her blanket straps broke during shipping and maybe rubbed her there when it became so crooked?

But I was told it is Rain Scald or Rain Rot on both of them??? They are not itchy and Lice has been ruled out. Then mostly it is small bumps on the other ones chest/neck/whither showing up out of the blue and he seems to be shedding more than normal for this time of year in our location. I was told to use diluted Bleach on both of them. Is this a good idea? Do they have Rain Rot (Rain Scald)?

ANSWER: Neither sounds like Rainrot as they would be losing hair all down the spine with rough, raised patches and scabs if it was. Never use bleach on any animal. Use Betadine or Hibitane Surgical Scrubs, purchased from your Vet.

NOTE FOR RAIN ROT: Rainrot does have some resemblance to a fungus but it is *not* a fungus. It is a bacterial infection. Dermatophilus congolensis, a filamentous bacterium is the causative agent.

Clean and DRY. DRY is very important. Use "Betadine Scrub", lather, pick off the crusts, let it sit for 5 minutes, rinse and *dry*. Use a blow drier on the lowest setting if need be. Severe cases benefit from a course of systemic antibiotics, such as penicillin, along with the careful DAILY Scrubbing and Drying.The crusts one peels off contain vast numbers of organisms, and are best disposed of in the trash rather than the horse's immediate environment.

Now for the bumps you mention........................Hives, sometimes thought of as simply bumps, are a sign of an Allergic Reaction.

The thing that people don't understand is that an Allergic Reaction can be IMMEDIATE or take weeks to show up.

A partial list of what a horse can be allergic to: Feed sources, plants, weeds, trees/shrubs, drugs, chemicals (used in or around the premises and include fly sprays, etc. placed right on the horse or sprayed in the horses environment), pesticides and weed controls, rubber or plastic feed and water containers, "FLY BITES", certain wood preservatives, certain older type paints if the horse chews wood, shampoos, new horse blankets, etc.etc.

So he may now be showing the allergic reaction as not one of the recognized IMMEDIATE reactions.

In case it is happening from your place instead of his previous home: Sit down and seriously think if anything new listed above that he is now coming into contact with? It is most often fly bites or else weeds that have matured that did not bother the horse before. Sometimes we really have to stop and think what is different for us to hit on the cause. Sometimes it is the hay itself which came out of a different field or was taken off at a different time (thus mature weeds in it or something different about the field of hay?)

Excessively shedding can be a sign of Internal or External Parasites. All horses should be on a Regular Deworming Program and checked for external parasites such as Lice, Mange, etc. Excessive shedding can also be caused by poor feed over a long time and/or an "Undiagnosed Medical Problem".

It sounds like you are correct and the blanket rubbed her during trailering, thus the hair loss in that spot.

NOTE: This was a hard to answer set of questions because of lack of Time Frame, Age of horses, Breed and Geographical Location.

Login | Powered By: Techweavers Inc.